HOW TO LAY YOUR FLOOR
Take your time
Putting in a new floor has never been easier whether you choose wood, laminate or vinyl. All our floors are designed for ease of installation, but like all projects, you need to take your time to get the best results. Just a little extra time spent on preparation and completing your project will make it a pleasure rather than a chore.
Before you start - Your checklist
Is the space rectangular or square, a corridor or hallway?
Decide which direction you are going to lay the floor.
- Have you got enough of your chosen floor to cover the area?
- Have you allowed extra for wastage caused by awkward edges and corners?
Make sure that the temperature and humidity levels are normal (usually over 18° C with Relative Humidity between 40%-70%).
Wood in particular needs moderate levels of both (30%-60% Relative Humidity).
- Make sure that the sub-floor is clean and dry.
- Store the floor unopened in the room for 24 to 48 hours before using so that it can acclimatise to the ambient conditions.
- You don’t need any elaborate tools to install one of our floors but you will need a sharp knife for vinyl, or a saw for wood and laminate.
Whether you are installing vinyl, laminate or wood, the sub-floor should be level, firm and dry. Vacuum the surface carefully so that it is absolutely clean and free from debris.
Laminate and wood can be installed over:
Concrete – If new, leave to dry for a minimum of 90 days. You must use a vapour barrier and could also include an acoustic underlay or combined vapour/acoustic product.
Wood – Must be adequately ventilated, and loose planks nailed or screwed down so that they don’t move. Do not install a vapour barrier.
Tile - Only one layer thick and without any loose tiles, cracks or other damage.
Getting the best from wood or laminate planks
Planks can be laid in any direction you like, but you can make the most of their appearance and performance by laying them:
- Lengthwise for rectangular rooms and corridors
- Towards the light in square room
We provide complete instructions with all our products. You can also download more information from each product page or our document centre.